Aug 15, 2012

Figgs Hit Town for the Big 25

Let's play Fun With Math, shall we?

1.  I'll estimate that I have held at least one conversation with about a quarter-million unique individual human beings over the course of my life.  Yeah, a wild guess, to be sure.  But take your own shot at coming up with this fig. See, I told you that math could be fun!

2. Out of that quarter-million, I'll estimate that the topic of music was part of a conversation with any of them at a clip of approximately 5%.

3. 250,000 x 5% = 12,500 people.

4. Out of that 12,500, two (2) of them told me something to the effect of  "The Figgs are the greatest rock and roll band in history."  Yes, twice I've heard this -- from two different people.

5. So that means 0.16% of my 'musical universe" believes this to be a true statement.  "Heck, that's not even a full one-percent," you might poo-poo. My reply: "Yeah, but there's been millions of bands!"  Think about it, won't you?.

Personally, I have never seen these local Saratoga Springs legends.  But that will change this Saturday night (Aug 18), as the boys return to the city of their youth (and of their first show ever in Geyser Crest) for THE FIGGS 25TH ANNIVERSARY at the Putnam Den. $10 gets you in the door for a look at some loud history.

Here's a Made For MTV Video bty the Figgs form way back in '94. It was filmed at the now-gone E. O'Dwyers bar on the Spring Street Hil in Saratoga Springs.





4 comments:

Maybe I'm Amazed said...

What amazes me is how these guys can go 25 years, doing this for a living.

Wake up
Long drive
Eat in van
Get lost in strange town
Load gear into club
Sound Check
Kill 6 hours wandering aimlessly
Eat, mostly bad food
Drink heavy: optional but likely
Blast ear shattering rock for 2+hrs
Another hour talking and wrapping
Tear down and load van
Drive or sleep (usually in van)
Repeat

I'd be lucky to last a week. But 25 years?

Anonymous said...

Putnam Den is in Geyser Crest? I'm confused.

Nanoburgh? said...

U refer to:

"...as the boys return to the city of their youth (and of their first show ever in Geyser Crest) for THE FIGGS 25TH ANNIVERSARY at the Putnam Den."

they are returnig to Saratoga, which is both their hometown and the site of their very first show; at a party in Geyser Crest

No Harm No Foul said...

Sometimes turn my eyelids inside out when I go up to a store or bank counter.

It's really funny.