Sep 2, 2010

Bulletin: major discovery announced

Obsessed? Yeah, I would say so.


I've got a good friend, from back in the day, who has long been nuts with the movie Dazed and Confused. We all have our little obsessive quirks; and this is his.

"The greatest movie ever made", he claims. He might even be right; it at least ranks as one of the best period pieces. Of course, we're both biased because it was a piece from OUR period, and no movie ever got it more right than this gem.

Now, it's bad enough that I've seen this film three or four times myself; but I swear he's watched it from start to finish a minimum of 50 times. Now be advised: he's not some desperate loser tied to his youth in a productivity-killing way. He's actually as firmly planted a guy as I know. He's just kind of like the Dead/Phish head equivalent of this movie. So, every few months, he'll email me some new discovery found in some scene.

Today I received the news of one such discovery in my in-box. It takes place at the point where Wooderson (played by Matthew McConaughey)is rambling on about the typical nothingness of the day and then slips in his classic "I keep getting older, they stay the same age" line about his fondness for high school girls while in front of the hangout.

And the Big Discovery? To quote: "Check out Pink; he's got a one-hitter clipped on his belt buckle that he lights up, just like nothing! I've missed that up until now."

There you have it -- better late than never. Enjoy the scene; but you only will if you lived it.


6 comments:

red fred said...

"A little foosball?"

"Yes they do."

"Who's bowling ball?" "Your's"

"That's where the girls are"

"Shotgun!"

"A litte change in the pocket"

"I get older, they stay the same age"


Yes, me too. Not as bad as your friend, but I bet I watch it once each year. Just to stay in touch with where I come from.

A great film, on so many levels; without even trying. It's like the Seinfeld of the big screen. All about nothing, but it works perfectly.

Karen S. said...

A classic movie. I was at a film fest where this was the honored flick, with the director as a speaker. He told about how MM, a college kid at the time that they just happened to run in to at a bar, was cast with only a couple of lines. But as the production progressed, they kept adding more and more for him, on-the-fly. I didn't even recognize Ben Affleck, with all the baby fat! Reese Witherspoon is in it, too, in a 2-second non talking part. The stoner kid is someone we all knew in school. They all were.

Anonymous said...

This is def. in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. This is in my parents's time, but I would do anything to have been in then myself. There's a sense of freedom there that was never part of kids my age's lifes.

Ron Kim's Nightmare said...

Help. Given that your buddy Tighe has abandoned his post with his quest to fight the Nxivm cult in a winner take all death match at the expense of writing anything about Saratoga Politics (which is the name of his blog, interestingly, I appeal to you to take up his slack.

jkj said...

So many of them went on to be big stars. They all looked so young and inncoent in this. It was the first job for most.

Broadway Billy said...

I just Net-Flix'd it, based on all you people's comments.